Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gregory of Datev

Whenever I was stumped on an illustration I would go back to the text by Nersoyan. Reading and re-reading the stories searching for clues to help me to visualize the scene. Sometimes I would find myself reworking the image. Occasionally, I would end up starting over completely. Usually this would result in a stronger illustration.

This was my first attempt at illustrating the story of Gregory of Tathev a famous teacher.


This is my second take on the subject of Gregory of Tathev which is more historically accurate. It's inspired by this passage in the text-

"The degrees were granted in a special religious ceremony, prepared by Gregory himself, that took place in the church of the monastery. He was the main speaker on these occasions. On one occasion, in the course of an address to the graduating class of dzayragouyn vardapets seated in their special chairs he said: "You know that for a clergyman to sit on a chair during a ceremony is a special privilege and a sign of authority. You have now acquired that privilege. You have authority to preach from one end of the world to the other. "

No comments: